Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 1-A

Over the next couple of weeks I will bring to you a translation of a four part article featuring Rickson Gracie! Rickson Gracie is a legendary martial artist with 400 undefeated fights! This article by Diamond Co. explores Rickson's background to reveal his philosophy, thoughts, and motivation which led him to his triumphs. Also included are; his thoughts on Japan, Jiu-Jitsu, why he retired from fighting, his future goals, and life to come. All will be brought to you in a four part series. The title of the first interview:
"Winning, is not the most important thing, rather it is important to NEVER BE DEFEATED."
Rickson Gracie (Pronounced Hick-son)
 Born: November, 21 1959.
Nationality: Brazil. Jiu-Jitsu Practitioner.
Known as Prodigal master of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
after leaving a mark in history though MMA.
Established the JJFJ (Jiu-Jitsu Federation of Japan)
 and serves as the President.
Photo by Takahiro Kohara


Q: Rickson, I've heard from others that you are very pro-Japanese. 

Rickson: Ya, it's been about 15 years now since the first time I visited Japan.

Until then, I had carried several images about Japan; Bushido (the way of the warrior), Samurai, Strength, Etiquette, and the stuff invincible men had, not a single crack in mental/spiritual might. All those thoughts about Japan were in my mind.

But I was very disappointed when I came to Japan.

I definitely felt the feeling of deep respect, but I realized those feelings originated from weakness rather than physical strength or mental/spiritual might. Regardless of all the respectful moments I encountered and stern and disciplined rules I witnessed, I didn't feel the slightest bit of strength or power.

Q: How do you define "Weakness?" What do you mean by this word?

Rickson: Well, if I were to use some other words, I guess you could say it felt like people were living inside a bubble. Even though you could sense the feeling of respect, that was because people were scared of intruding on others, or because they didn't want to hear others opinion.

I love Japan! I can definitely say that about the culture. However, I do feel a little disappointed about their weakness.

For example, if you went to a Martial Arts event like my last fight at the Tokyo Dome against Funaki Masakatsu, not a single paper cup would have been found left on the floor. When there was some type of action on stage the entire crowd would gasp at the same time. Sometimes you would hear people cheer "Rickson! Rickson!" but even the timing of this could be predicted after a while.

Observing this type of scene makes me realize how safe these people must feel living inside their bubble. They should open up a little more, allow their energy to be used and put out, it makes me wonder how much happier their lives could be if they did this.

Coming Next: (Part 1-B) The Age of the SAMURAI is long over...

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9482

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly 

Eliot Kelly 
www.edhbjj.com
"Read, Share, Train, Adapt!"

No comments:

Post a Comment