Monday, July 25, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 4-C

ARTICLE TRANSLATION:
400 Undefeated Fights! Special Interview with Legendary Martial Artist Rickson Gracie. "Become a Modern Samurai and fight for your own happiness."

"I'm not training people to become, not do I have an
interest in training people to become Mixed Martial
Artists"
I would first like to spread Jiu-Jitsu to everyone as the art of self-defense and then would like to host tournaments in different countries.

Regardless of whether you are a competitor or not, I would like to initially spread Jiu-Jitsu to everyone in the form of something that would benefit your everyday life and contribute to your health and well being.

Q: Do you have the feeling that Jiu-Jitsu is being successfully spread around the world?

It's spreading at a very rapid pace. It's spreading so fast that I think it might be spreading at the fastest rate out of all the other martial arts.

Currently, Mixed Martial Artists need to be training in some form of Jiu-Jitsu. The presence of Jiu-Jitsu is becoming larger and larger.

Q: What does it mean when your students and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu participates in MMA match ups?


As a result of teaching, my students might choose to enter those events. However, I'm not training people to become, nor do I have an interest in training people to become Mixed Martial Artists.

As I said before, I think the current state of Mixed Martial Arts is only interested in the competition aspects and as a result, the good parts of martial arts has fallen off.

In the past, I've tried to display the strength an power of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu with my fights.

However, the goal of all martial arts should be to promote and nurture a better society. Just being excited and entertained by the shows and events are not enough.

That's why I don't train my students to have the ultimate goal of fighting at my dojo.

Up Next (Part 4-D): "There are a lot of fighters in Japan with talent and skill."

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9711?page=3

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

Eliot Kelly
"Learn, Share, Train, Adapt."

No comments:

Post a Comment