Thursday, June 6, 2013

2013 IBJJF World Championships: What I learned

The World Championships in Jiu Jitsu were another spectacular event this year. There were lots of exciting matches with a number of upsets, showing that jiu jitsu really is a sport for everyone! This was my first time competing as a black belt in the heavy (pesado) weight division and I had a blast! I won my first match by points against a tough competitor from Gracie Barra named Ulpiano Malachias by points and lost my second match to GFT (Gracie Fight Team) tournament leader Rodolpho Vierra. A great opportunity to learn and compete against the best of the best. This was my first tournament with the IBJJF and I'm looking forward to getting more competition experience heading into the second half of the competition season this fall.

     As a black belt, I felt my strength and conditioning was well prepared for the much anticipated 10 minute matches. Although it's only an extra two minutes from the 8 minute brown belt matches, it can feel like day and night when it comes to the heat of the battle. One distinct feeling I got in my match with Rodolpho Vierra was the overwhelming grip strength and explosiveness. Being able to control and fight the grips are an essential part of elite jiu jitsu competition I realized a few years ago as a brown belt when I had the opportunity to compete against Jiu Jitsu World Champions, Antonio Braga Neto, Andre Galvao, and Xande Ribeiro. They all had an elevated awareness for grip fighting and using their grips to dominate positions. I've been fortunate enough to have some world class Judo fighters help me train my grip fighting and set ups for attacks from about two years ago. This training has definitely paid off but it will be essential to continue to work on this area.


Eliot Kelly
(916) 595. 4064

No comments:

Post a Comment