Wednesday, December 1, 2010

FROM CERAMICS TO JIU-JITSU

While I was working in Japan, I had the opportunity to start learning how to make ceramics. (Yes, this blog is going to be about Jiu-Jitsu. Bear with me!) I was fortunate enough to have the experience because I took a weekly trip on a single-track train up the hills to the small mountainous town of Shigaraki (信楽). This town was famous for their ceramics known as Shigaraki-yaki (信楽焼), and at Shigaraki High School, where I taught English, there was a well-established Ceramics Club. I was initially reluctant because the idea of sitting in one place and hovering over a pot of clay on a spinning wheel was not appealing, but I was willing to try something at least once.
The entire experience turned out to be a great learning opportunity. In many ways I was humbled as the students around me kept turning out nice looking cups and bowls while the clay in front of me just kept taking peculiar shapes. Hora-Sensei, who wasn’t a Sensei (先生) yet, but had just finished his apprenticeship (He said some days he had to make 100 ‘exactly the same’ bowls, cups, etc. “Exactly the same” meaning the same size, shape, weight, thickness, everything or he had to start over!), and was currently working on passing his exams to become a certified teacher. He liked learning English words that applied to making ceramics, and one phrase we coined was “soft touch” and “hard touch.”
Although I didn’t think much of the phrase at the time, the words have remained very distinct in my memory. Surprisingly enough, once I started teaching Jiu-Jitsu in El Dorado Hills I realized the phrase applied to Jiu-Jitsu. Obviously, “hard touch” equated to moments when direct pressure had to be applied, and “soft touch” equated to moments when light pressure had to be applied. After a while it became obvious when I wanted to apply “hard” or “soft” pressure, but it was very difficult to figure out when to start and stop as well as the amount of intensity meant by “hard” and “soft.” Trying to explain the right moments would be a very daunting task (and I invite you to comment on this) but I will try to compare and relate the two different “touches.”
A “hard touch” involved using your body weight, a lot of constant downward pressure, and was generally done with the wheel spinning slower than usual.  A “soft touch” involved strength and used just as much muscle, but was not backed up by your body weight. A “soft touch” was applied with the wheel spinning at a faster speed. Both resulted in plenty of control over the clay, and both required a concentrated amount of pressure on a specific area of the clay. If we allow ourselves to meditate on this for a little while, we may find it useful in the development of our Jiu-Jitsu game!


Eliot Kelly
www.edhbjj.com

No comments:

Post a Comment