Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Jiu-Jitsu Training Camp in San Jose

Black Belts (left to right): Osvaldo Queixinho, Flavio Meier, Andre Monteiro, Caio Terra, Samir Chantre, Marcos Torregrosa
     Today, I had my first experience and privilege of participating in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training camp in preparation for the Pan American Championships next weekend. I have never stepped on a training mat with six black belts, let alone be in the same dojo with that many black belts practicing at the same time. The camp was fantastic and being able to roll with different body types and technical styles really gave me a chance to tighten up my game in preparation for one of the biggest Jiu-Jitsu tournaments in the world.
     Although it turned out to be about a 6 hour round trip drive to do the training session, it was well worth it! These are the elite guys at the top of their game, and an opportunity to train with them is hard to graph into a cost analysis equation.... Let's just say the ROI, (Return on Investment) will eventually reveal itself. BUT, how can you measure out whether or not making a drive like that is worth it to train with guys like that? At what distance do you say this is too far of a commute?
     So, driving distance might be different for everyone, but for the next question I would like a clear answer. Why do some competitors organize training camps and train with competitors from different Jiu-Jitsu schools, while others don't? In Japan, it was very normal for people to drop into schools to train with each other. I remember driving to a school in Gifu prefecture to roll during their 1:00am open mat training session (and that was a week night). I've heard some schools shun upon people training with one another. Why do some take part in these camps, and others stay away from them? It would seem to me that those who are striving to learn, improve, train and compete with the best wouldn't hesitate to participate in these types of events.... As for me, I can't wait to do more of these!! (Now, if I can somehow shorten the commute to these things .....)

The practice was held at the Institute of Martial Arts in San Jose, CA. Thank you for the invitation!


Eliot Kelly
"If you wanna be the best, train with the best"

No comments:

Post a Comment