Saturday, June 23, 2012

How to Become a Better Teacher of the Gentle Art


     Have you heard of the movie The Horse Whisperer? Well, Buck Brannaman is the true living horse whisperer. He is amazing! In the documentary Buck, you see first hand the spirit of the gentle art both in practice and teaching.
     The gentle art is a concept we hear all the time in Jiu-Jitsu, but this is a universal concept applicable to all grappling or wrestling based Martial Arts. Unfortunately, I've found that many jiujitsu and grappling academies talk about the gentle art, but struggle with implementing it into their curriculum, training, and lifestyle. The Gentle art is the concept of guiding an action, and not forcing an action. The concept of always trying to understand something with precision, and not just doing something to make it work. The concept of breaking things apart to build them back up stronger, and not just to impose your will on them. As student's and teacher's we can all learn from these concepts.
     In my opinion, Buck's methods need to be taught, studies, and applied to all coaching situations. In wrestling, Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, and all of the grappling arts, there is exists the spirit of the gentle art, but very few have come to understand the methods and merits to this type of instruction. By mastering the gentle art as an instructor, I think we will find that we are not just responsible for helping other's become great jiujitsu players, but also responsible for helping other's learn more about themselves.
     Buck is a true pioneer in the application and of the gentle art. I highly recommend all teacher's, coaches, and those involved in positions of leadership to watch and learn from this documentary, BUCK.

Eliot Kelly
EDH Grappling 
"Buck Brennamen is a Master Instructor of the gentle art!"

2 comments:

  1. Hey man I have to say I really enjoy your cerebral approach to teaching BJJ. I have recently attempted to take apart the principles and concepts of certain Jiu-Jitsu positions in order to shorten the learning curve. I've developed a few interesting methods. I was drawn to your site by a video Tom Callos posted on your 3 second matches. I love the idea. A question of mine would be how well received is your teaching approach. I often hit roadblocks with certain students when I try to change the 20-20-20 routine(20 min warmup-20min technique-20min roll)I understand I cannot make every student think differently because they are used to a certain approach but many have plateaued and are unwilling to be introspective. Many of my older private students love the new teaching methods. I am interested in how your students take your teaching approach. You can email me if you'd like MalachyFriedman@gmail.com. Thanks, enjoying your blogs and videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to change it up, but it only means you're trying to find something better. Maybe an explanation of your reasoning would help encourage and motivate the students to try something new. But also listening and understanding why they don't want to try something new. I recently heard.. I think from Steve Maxwell, that most of our workouts patterns are the same. People resist change. Hope that helps!

      Delete