Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What is Jiu Jitsu? A Game of Strength and Patience

     I see many students of all belt colors continually confront and need to overcome the challenge of the Jiu Jitsu lifestyle. Many people ask me what qualities you can learn from Jiu Jitsu and I've found these two traits to be the most present and developed through consistent, if not daily training on the mat. Jiu Jitsu is a Game of Strength and Patience. The development of these two assets will no doubt lead you to great success in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but also in life.
     When we talk about the development of STRENGTH, I'm not only referring to the development and production of mitochondria or different methods to develop and increase your myofibril numbers. That would simply fall in the category of PHYSICAL STRENGTH.  I'm also talking about MENTAL STRENGTH, the ability to overcome a challenge when you've already had to overcome many other challenges. However, I'm mostly talking about TECHNICAL STRENGTH, the ability to use leverage at the precise timing in order to out position and maintain control. While physical strength may come and go depending on how much training you do, a strong foundation of Technical Strength over a period of consistent training is something that will never go away. This is the asset we are all looking to develop and attain from our training.
     In addition to developing Physical Strength, Jiu Jitsu is also the development of Patience. Patience is a key ingredient that is needed in order to maintain a sanity while training. There are going to be many things to get frustrated about, especially if you are a goal and result oriented person. The best way to develop Patience for those type of people would be through setting smaller, incremental goals along the way. Here is a little story I have when I think of the word Patience. In Japanese the word for patience is Nintairyoku: にんたいりょく:忍耐力. I don't know if you noticed, but beginning of the word is Nin, the same Nin that would be used for the Japanese word Ninja: にんじゃ:忍者. Can you see that the first character of both Patience, and Ninja are the same? So, when I begin to feel frustrated with things, maybe jiu jitsu, maybe other areas of my life I think of being a Ninja.... And dealing with the situation like a Ninja! No, not by dressing in black and going around a dark corner to attack someone, but by staying calm, figuring out what and who can help with the challenge, and planning how I will do better next time around.

Eliot Kelly
916 595 4064
Have Patience, Be Stronger

No comments:

Post a Comment