Monday, July 29, 2013

What is Your Learning Style? How do you learn best?

     I recently started learning how to play the Ukulele. I've always wanted to learn how to incorporate music into my Japanese language classes I teach, and a friend suggested I start with the Ukulele. The reason, it has four strings instead of the six on a guitar and therefore the learning is much faster. Amazingly, El Dorado Hills Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has a handful of musicians that are incredible at teaching me how to play, talking about music theory, or jam along with me at the end of a jiujitsu session. I'm so thankful for everyone who has helped me learn a little trick here and there, sharing their knowledge and what they know without any hesitation! You guys ROCK! (No pun intended)
     Oddly enough I've also become more familiar with my learning style. I was never been in tune with how my personal learning style mattered in the past, but now that I've had many different inputs from several of the jiu jitsu and martial arts members in El Dorado Hills, I feel I better understand my strengths and weaknesses in learning. Although I enjoy playing on my own and trying different chords while looking at sheet music, I really enjoy learning with or learning from a partner. Some are more independent learners while I think I seem to enjoy the social aspect of learning from a person rather than from a book or video. I also enjoy hearing the music and seeing how the different chords work or don't work with one another. It takes me a few times to confirm how I'm doing things and making mistakes.  Fortunately, I can hear myself making the music and get immediate feedback on what I did wrong and how I need to fix it. Most importantly, I'm having fun with my learning. I enjoy sitting down with the many Sensei's from the Dojo and learning. Just because I know and somewhat understand my learning style, I don't think I should limit myself and learning to that one single dimension. Know my style simply means I understand my strengths and weaknesses. This knowledge or self awareness empowers me to understand what situation I am immersed in my learning and how I need to direct my focus and attention at different times. I feel Jiu Jitsu is can be very similar. Group lessons vs Private lessons. Drilling vs Rolling. Movement Exercises (hip escape) vs  Actual Moves (gi choke). Open mat vs Fundamentals Class. Belt Testing vs Belt Assessment. Random youtube technique vs Organized instructional Video.... The list seems endless as there are many different ways for us to enhance our learning. Empower yourself by becoming more familiar with your learning style and see how that changes how you see and learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and by extension any other thing in life!

Eliot Kelly
916 595 4064

No comments:

Post a Comment