Thursday, August 18, 2011

Japan Day 2

We started today with a 6:30 am workout. My body hasn't really adjusted to the time change and I was up around 4. Here is what we did:
- Jog a mile
- Run a 2.5 miles
- Jog a mile


It doesn't seem like much, but at 6:30 in the morning the heat and humidity are killer!


In the afternoon we were on the mat. Practice started at 2:30 with a rigorous warm up and ended around 5:30 with some strength and conditioning drills. My calves were cramping up during our matches and I had to stop after my second match. I hope to get a good nights rest and start tomorrow morning with a fresh start!
However, what I really want to talk about today is not the workouts but the group of guys on the side of the track and mat. Instead of running or wrestling, they were doing a variety of body exercises. After asking why they were not participating in the runs, I found out that they had some type of injury preventing them from running. Instead of sleeping in or sitting on the side of the track, they were working out. The idea is that you never miss a workout, no matter what the circumstances, when others are training so are you. I think there is a lot learn from this way of thinking. 

Many people encounter some form of adversity and allow it to bring their momentum to a halt. They drop everything and wait for the right time to start back up. The attitude here seems to be that, there is always something I can do. Know your limits, appreciate what you have to work with, and make the best of your circumstances. 

Eliot Kelly
A can do attitude will always win! 

No comments:

Post a Comment