Monday, August 1, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 4-E

ARTICLE TRANSLATION:
400 Undefeated Fights! Special Interview with Legendary Martial Artist Rickson Gracie. 

Q: What's the reason you decided to publish the book Rickson Gracie Undefeated Principles?
After my retirement I started thinking about new goals for myself, and what came to surface was that I wanted to teach and spread to as many people as possible about correct Jiu-Jitsu, ideal Jiu-Jitsu, Jiu-Jitsu that stems from Self-Defense.

In addition, for those who have no connection to Martial Arts, I wished to express the philosophical learnings that took place as a result of practicing Jiu-Jitsu. I wanted to leave behind the important lessons I had learned from my life up to this moment.

I don't intend on reminiscing over memories of the past.

That's why I chose not to talk about my private life in the book. Of course there are parts I where I explain my personal circumstances to help communicate what it is I am trying to say.

However, my intentions from this book are not to talk about what I have left behind or my walk in life.

But that many people have kept their potential dormant the whole time.
Q: So, it's not an "Autobiography" of Rickson Gracie?
That's right. It's not a book about "me" personally, but a narrative on my thought process and how I would behave under different circumstances.

Obviously, there are plenty of people who have been and still are interested in my private life. I think the book help satisfy their curiosity about me.

Q: What would you like to say to your Japanese readers?
In one one word "Bushido." The desire to take on a task with 100% zeal.

To me, "Bushido" is working to achieve some objective with 100% of your strength while stressing the importance of respect.

The "Modern Samurai" living in our present day society, is for fighting to grab ahold of your own happiness.

Whether you are doing a job or working towards a goal, you don't do it because you were told to do it. Reconsider, one more time, if what you are doing will truly come back to bringing you happiness.

Regardless of age, gender, or profession, people are struggling against their fears, sorrows, and many other problems on a daily basis. And I want people to win those battles.

Up Next Part 4-F: "The power to be implemented is something everyone already has"
Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9711?page=5

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment