Monday, May 2, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 2-C

Article Translation:

400 Undefeated Fights! Special Interview (part 2) with Legendary Martial Artist: Rickson Gracie 
"What Present Day Martial Arts has Lost."


- How do you see the world of Martial Arts expanding in the future?  What is the stance of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu on all this?

Rickson: Unfortunately this trend will continue for a while. Hundreds and thousands of people are thinking they want to watch two men slug it out, so there is no reason for things not to become popular. As a result, the money moving behind the sport will continue to grow.

"I would like people to learn Jiu-Jitsu, just as
they would learn the piano or the violin."
Photo by Takahiro Kohara
I have always fought for the sake of showing Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and the Gracie Technique. I have never adapted other types of Martial Arts into my training to win fights.

If one day my son Kron decides to participate in one of these events I would like for him to fight as a representative of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

It wouldn't be to entertain the audience anticipating to see a flutter of jumps, punches, or kicks. I am positive that Kron would enter the ring to use the power of jiu-jitsu he has acquired to neutralize an opponent influenced by another form of martial arts.

Jiu-Jitsu is the "art of becoming a person that won't lose."

- There isn't a chance for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu to be swallowed up by Mixed Martial Arts?

Rickson: At this moment, there is no mistake in saying that Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is at the center of martial arts, and is the most practical form of martial arts. I am sure Gracie Jiu-Jitsu will continue to be what it is, and will it's style and purpose will continue to be a great aid to many fighters.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu has spread all over the globe, but I personally don't feel mesmerized at all by the present state of Mixed Martial Arts.

My Goal is to strengthen Jiu-Jitsu and bring it back to the forefront. I would like to respond to our society's greater needs with the power of Jiu-Jitsu.

Jiu-Jitsu has the ability to change your life and expand an individual's ability. Confidence, self-esteem, and a tranquil spirit is born as a result of Jiu-Jitsu. Traditional elements of martial arts such as respect, honor, and discipline are acquired. These are all things I would like to show and teach to little children.

Rather than seeing people learn Jiu-Jitsu to beat other martial artists, I would be happier to see children doing Jiu-Jitsu and improving their self-confidence while living a better balanced life.

That's why I would like people to learn Jiu-Jitsu, just as they would learn the piano or the violin.

Up Next (Part 2-D):
I guarantee those I teach Jiu-Jitsu to will become invincible.

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9562?page=3

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment