Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 3-B

ARTICLE TRANSLATION:
400 Undefeated Fights! A Special Interview (Part 3) with Legendary Martial Artist Rickson Gracie 
"On why he stopped fighting"

-- Retirement was decided because "there was nothing left to prove."

Q: Spending time with your family was more of a priority than your fights, right?

Even if devoting myself in training would have been the best way to overcome my grief, I couldn't allow myself to only be thinking about me, or to not be face to face with my family.

"Unfortunately, there were no longer any fights I
thought I would like to do."
Photo by Takahiro Kohara
I passed up an opportunity that was never again, and the fighter that I was supposed to take on at one of the most premiere promotions, lost in another fight that took place shortly after. Having lowered his popularity, the charm in having me fight him was lowered. Meanwhile, two years passed while I waited for another opportunity, and I gradually began to close myself off.

My hormone levels had gone down, and my testosterone levels had significantly declined.

While my family and I were regaining our footing, my golden ages had slowly rolled on by.  By the time I looked up, they had completely disappeared.

Q: Is that around the time you decided to retire?

No, even then I was still waiting for the next opportunity. I was thinking it wouldn't have mattered even if the terms behind the fight were not as good as the one before.

However, I didn't want to stand in the ring for the sake of just pleasing the promoters or fans.

I wanted to take on a fight that was appropriate for me. However, unfortunately, there were no longer any fights I thought I would like to do. The only thing I heard from people were about talks of marketing related strategies or business expansion.

Q: So, Rickson Gracie won't stand in the ring again?

Ya, I don't have any intention of taking another professional fight.

Right now for me, there is nothing I have to prove to myself. The fact that a right offer at the right time didn't come along is one reason, but there's also the fact that it's harder to maintain my best physical condition because of my age and the intense training I've put myself through.

Up Next Part 3-C:
I realized the effectiveness of "Visualization" from the Funaki fight

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9643?page=2

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment