Monday, May 16, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 3-A


Article Translation:
400 Undefeated Fights! Special Interview(3) with Legendary Martial Artist Rickson Gracie. "The reason for retirement"


Rickson Gracie
Born: November,  21. 1959
From: Brazil
Jiu-Jitsu Practitioner
Photo by Takahiro Kohara
Q: Rickson, could you tell us how you started thinking about retirement?


Rickson: In February of 2006, eight months after my fight in Tokyo Dome against Funaki, my first born son passed away. 

Within three weeks of my son's passing, I was offered another fight. Had this fight taken place, it certainly would have been the best fight of my career, since the proposed terms of the fight were unmatched.

However, those talks took place too soon after the passing of my son. I couldn't accept anything offer no matter how good it was.

I certainly could have "dedicate the win to Rockson," and justified my actions. Doing so probably would added fuel to my desire to get stronger.

However, if I was always prepping for my fight by "going to go train" or "going for a swim," for the 8 months leading up to my fight, I would have grown distant from my family. For example, I wouldn't have had the time to be close to my family to talk while dropping and picking everyone one up from school.

How much we wanted to see Rockson. If Rockson was in heaven, how happy he was up there. I would have lost the opportunity to have those conversations, to look back and be reminiscent of the many little memories we shared. 

Coming Next:
Part (3-b) The reason I decided to retire was because  "I had nothing left to prove."

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9643

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment