Monday, May 9, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 2-E

Article Translation:
400 Undefeated Fights! Interview (Part 2) with Legendary Martial Artist Rickson Gracie

- " To Survive" rather than "To Win" -
Q: What were you always thinking, when you had your fights?

Rickson: I always gladly accepted challenges without questioning the time limit, terms of the fight, or my opponents physique. In those situations, I would always make sure to prioritize "don't beat down the opponent." I would emphasize that there was no way I would get beat up.

I would always make use of an opportunity to end a fight, but that's not to say ending the fight was my utmost priority.

I took on a fight with hungry eyes, while never forgetting my own weak points. I went into a fight while being mindful of the dangers. At the same time, I wouldn't let a single opportunity escape, pouncing on every opening.

Q: "Winning" wasn't the most important thing?

Rickson: I never prioritized winning. Above all, the most important thing was to survive.

No matter what I do I protect myself. You need to remain calm even if you fall into the worst situation imaginable.

Allow time to pass while staying calm, protecting your safety and just wait for the chance to come. If your attacker keeps attacking and attacking over and over again to finally say, "Dang it! This is going nowhere!" And gives up, then that's quite impressive.

Obviously, it would be in your favor if the person attacking you slipped up and you could counterattack, but at the very least, being able to get home without being hurt is the most important thing. If you can live without getting dragged into any trouble, that would be the best.

Being able to avoid trouble is a very important skill. I would even say that for many people, the ability to know how to avoid trouble is the most useful of the skills learned.

I have focused on teaching Jiu-Jitsu to as many people as possible since I made the decision to retire. In addition to being a sport, Jiu-Jitsu is something that has a positive influence on society. That's what Jiu-Jitsu is.

Coming Next:
 Part 3: "The reasons behind not fighting anymore"


Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9562?page=5

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment