Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 3-E

ARTICLE TRANSLATION:
400 Undefeated Fights! SPECIAL INTERVIEW (Part 3) with Legendary Martial Artist Rickson Gracie
"Reasons for Retirement"

-- Absolutely Never Doubt or Give Up

Alright, here's where things got going. Once my vision recovered, I visualized a path to escape from my current position on my back. Funaki would step back a little when he would aim to kick my knees. That was a chance to stand up.

I'm sure Funaki thought I was staying on the mat because of the damage he had done to me, and that I was unable to get up. Even if I did get up, he probably thought I would need some time to gather my composure.

However, as soon as I regained my vision and got back to my feet, I went forward with full throttle. There's no way Funaki had the slightest clue that I was buying some time while I was on my back, waiting for my eye to recover.

I jumped on Funaki, as though the bell had just rung to signal the start of the fight, and that really caught Funaki off guard. I'm sure he was thinking I would stand up looking lost and perplexed. I attacked with so much vigor it even surprised me, but there was no hesitation.

As soon as I could see what I wanted to, I began a relentless attack, and we were locked together in the center of the mat. Funaki tried to push back, but I would't allow it, tucked my head it, and made him put his hands on the mat.

After grabbing the initiative, I took took the top position, punched him, and got the choke.

-- And even though you looked cornered, you won!

I found out afterwards that Funaki was really surprised to see me get up.

Had he anticipated that I would become offensive and begin attacking with confidence, my window of opportunity to attack would have been much smaller and he wouldn't have been caught off guard. However, Funaki was thinking the fight was as good as over and he couldn't keep up with the sudden shift that followed.

Up Next (3F):
Out of 400 Undefeated Fights, My Most Difficult Fight

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9643?page=5

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

Eliot Kelly
www.edhbjj.com

No comments:

Post a Comment