Friday, June 17, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 3-G

ARTICLE TRANSLATION:
400 Undefeated Fights! Special Interview (Part 3) with Legendary Martial Artist: Rickson Gracie
"Reasons for Retirement"


Q: What's the main factor that brought you to victory in the fight?

When it comes down to it, visualization and the will to win is what really helped me.

I was very satisfied that I was able to accurately follow through not only mentally but also physically while maintaining the principles I believed in.

I continuously visualized a scene where I would take on heavy damage and somehow over come.  I would think up multiple scenarios and countless number of bad situations. However, there was no guarantee for that situation to take place, and I wouldn't know if that visualization would be helpful until the actual fight.

In the fight with Funaki, my visualization came to reality and proved the strength of my will. That fight just happened to be my last fight.

Q: Was this the toughest fight in your MMA career?

No, I don't think so. The Funaki fight was definitely a tough one and it had great significance in that it reaffirmed my ability to maintain a calm state of mind. The fight confirmed that even under such painful physical conditions, I could maintain an unflinching mind and spirit.

The most difficult fight of my career was, and I go into the details in my book, my debut fight as a Combat Martial Artist. The fight against Zulu, when I was 19 years old.

At the time I only weighed 72 kilo-grams (roughly 158 lbs), and my opponent had a much larger build of 98 kilo-grams (roughly 215 lbs). The weight difference was so great that I had no energy lift when I went back to my corner after the first round.

I didn't want to go back into the ring. But my father (Helio) forced me back into the ring and the fight continued. Surprisingly, I ended up winning.

That's where I realized that the fears and insecurities you carry with you is one of the main reasons why people are unable to give it 100%. I realized after all this that your enemy is for the most part you, yourself.

Q: Do you feel that visualizing is what set you apart from Funaki?

Is visualization important or technique important. Well, both are very important and without one the other doesn't really come to fruition.

Technique based on visualization, and visualization based on technique. The best would be to have both well balanced.

Funaki is an exceptional fighter, and I'm sure he was well prepared for the fight. It was an honor to be able to fight him. Although he retired once after his loss to me, I was glad to hear that he is actively back in the world of professional wrestling. I wish him the best of luck.
Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9643?page=7

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

Eliot Kelly
"Learn, Share, Train, Adapt"

No comments:

Post a Comment