Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rickson Gracie Article Translated: Part 3-F

ARTICLE TRANSLATION:
400 Undefeated Fights! Special Interview (Part 3) with Legendary Martial Artist: Rickson Gracie
"Reasons for Retirement"
I calmly approached Funaki and he must have had tunnel vision. Or maybe he was just underestimating me. As a result, I was able to catch him off guard on my next attack.

How could someone, who looked like they were completely defeated, spring on an attack with all the confidence in the world?  That's why Funaki was caught off guard and I was able to win.

What's certain is that there was not a single ounce of doubt in my mind, I had no doubt that victory was a possibility, I simply wasn't going to give up.

Regardless of the fact that I was injured, I never thought to myself, "Oh no, I've got myself in trouble."

My unwavering will, my attitude towards winning, and my belief in my potential couldn't be damaged by anyone. The training I had been doing all my life was finally validated at that moment.


The Toughest Win of the 400 Streak
Q: Having said that, you were pretty cornered weren't you?

It was the first time in my life where I felt like there was close to nothing I could do while being on the mat. I had never experienced such serious damage, and never had to brace myself while thinking, "here comes another attack!"

However, I had the confidence to know that I would be prepared if that became a reality.

And I feel very happy the result was that I won the fight. I endured some heavy pressure and pain while instinctively doing what I had to do in a very critical circumstance. I am very satisfied with the steps I took to handle that situation.

Up Next (3G):
In the end, visualization and a strong will proved to be really helpful. 

Article Source:
http://diamond.jp/articles/-/9643?page=6

Translation by:
Eliot Kelly

Eliot Kelly
"Learn, Share, Train, Adapt"

No comments:

Post a Comment