Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cross Training: Judo Theory for Wrestling

     There is a way wrestlers breakdown a takedown. 1) Set up. 2) Shot. 3) Finish. As much as I dislike using phrases that seem over used when I teach, I have to admit, I've used this a few times in our Wrestling Class in El Dorado Hills.  Interestingly enough this three part breakdown is done in Judo as well. 1) Kuzushi. 2) Tsukuri. 3) Kake. When I heard these words in application, I immediately knew I had to incorporate them into our Jiu-Jitsu and Wrestling Class in El Dorado Hills. Since these are Japanese words, unless you are a native speaker or speak some Japanese, you might have some difficulty gaining knowledge or insights from the words. Well, you are in LUCK! I will make the literal and contextual translation happen for you!

1. Kuzushi. When I think of this I think of it more as a breaking something down. A translation we often see is OFF BALANCING. This is really important to do, and really a GOOD set up in wrestling gets your partner off balance. When I hear the word KUZUSHI, I think of someone coming in and breaking down my lego's I carefully set up over the weekend! (I'd be pissed!!) Literally to crumble and crush.

2. Tsukuri. Literally to make. You have to make your body fit into what you were able to off balance. The body has to fit into the right place and space needs to be filled with body parts for the proper mechanics to take place. Making or forming the body with your partners so that it's ready for the takedown. What a brilliant concept.

3. Kake. Literally to hook. It's the precise moment when you've hooked your opponent into your move, and they have no choice but to accept the attack. Of the three Japanese words, I think this most resembles what we would call the finish. There is something unique about it. We're thinking about it in terms of hooking our opponent. We can't just throw the bait out there and expect the fish to bite. When we feeling them tugging on our line, we need to execute with proper timing to get them on our line. Amazing!

    Sometimes it helps to hear the same thing explained with a different perspective or twist. When I heard this, a light bulb went off in my head, and things made a lot more sense. I now try avoid the traditional obvious terminology: set up, shot, finish. I've also found using this concept in our wrestling class in El Dorado Hills has made a big impact when trying to teach throws and even the traditional takedown. Doing so makes for a much more stimulating training session of the mind, body, and spirit!

SEE YOU ON THE MAT! 
Eliot Kelly
The Wrestling Dojo: Redefining the way we teach and learn Wrestling

No comments:

Post a Comment