Thursday, August 9, 2012

Some Bullying I Encountered Long Ago

     I've been doing a lot of reading up on bullying this summer, and I guess it would make sense to share a personal story of mine about bullying.
     When I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade I was living in a country town in Japan. My family was one of the few foreign families living in Japan at the time, and needless to say I stuck out like sore thumb. In Japan, public schools don't have any janitors and at the end of the day there is about a 15 to 20 minute time where the students disperse in groups to clean their designated areas. On this particular day, we were in charge of the long hallway. Our job was to take wet rags and run them down the floor in a "bear crawl" type of position. I can't remember exactly what happened, but all of a sudden, my back was against the wall with a 6th grader standing over me. Then from no where he slapped me across my face! I looked right back at him and slapped him back, jumping up to reach his face. This definitely caught him off guard, but he proceed to pummel me against the wall, throwing a stream of body shots. I didn't know what to do, so I just curled up in a ball and managed to take the punches until he took off running down the hallway.
     I don't remember much about how thing were resolved. I do remember a teacher talking with me. Asking me if I was ok, and assuring me that I would never have to fear something like that happening again. I do believe one of my friends in the cleaning group reported the incident to a teacher who swiftly took action.  Although this is with a little delay, THANK YOU cleaning friend, THANK YOU teacher, for taking action and helping me feel comfortable enough to stay in school.

Eliot Kelly
916 595 4064
See how our Jiu-Jitsu program can help your child deter bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment